Our Mothers are our first teachers. They help us attain an understanding of our position and reaffirm our purpose in the world. So rather than giving out cliché ideas of what to give your mom for Mother’s Day like every other blog, I’d like to share something my mom gave me and I love her forever for it—wisdom (& not just the ever-popular, “When you get to my age, you’ll understand” type of wisdom)
Here’s a short, condensed list of words from my mom that honestly, guided me better than the stars ever could; may it do the same for you…
- Be sure of yourself. A little bit of confidence can go a long way, and according to her, your outfit isn’t complete without it. Of course, as a child, there’s no such thing as being as “certain as the sun,” especially not of the self. Everything always became a question.
- With that being said, assertiveness is not to be confused with “bossy,” and there is nothing wrong with knowing what you want. Nor should you ever be apologetic for it. My mom, the Taurus that she is, has always made her voice heard. Don’t let the noise of outside opinions drown your voice within.
- Be a hustler, especially in a “man’s world.” Knowing that “time and tide wait for no man,” as she would say, make it your responsibility to be the best version of yourself.
- Appreciate a job well done. Give thanks. Whenever you can.
- My mom even taught me about weather conditions… “Your room looks like a tornado hit!”
- “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” This is still an art I am trying to master.
- No work is more influential than work done at home. The epitome of a working-woman, my mom maintained a household, a marriage, and a family and always taught us to work hard. Even to a fault lol. If you’re in her sight, sitting still, or “idle,” she will see to it that you are kept busy because there’s always something to be done around the house.
- When moving into a new home, put a slice of bread in each room and a dollar bill at the windowsill. Don’t argue it, just accept it.
- Be practical. USE, USE, USE COUPONS!
All that I am and hope to be, I owe to my mom. Thus, there is no better gift than that of her love… A mother’s love. Forever grateful for mine, yours, and all. So, thank your moms, and kiss them while you can. Don’t wait until tomorrow.